After a long, long, hot summer with drought in the way of both water and bird movement, things finally seem to be picking up. I was actually birding two or three weeks ago at the Oysterbeds, but I never managed to write up a post about it... been a busy summer holiday with work (woohoo) and visiting various places- the highlight was managing to get tickets to the BBC Proms to see Martha Argerich play with the Munich Philharmonic Orchestra. Wonderful concert, and my brother and I were well rewarded for our 5:00 start to get into the queue at the Albert Hall early. Anyways, back to birds.
With reports coming from Farlington of a Red-backed Shrike, it seemed the obvious thing to pay a quick visit on our way back from some lessons I had in the Fareham area in the morning. And I really do mean a quick visit. We had about 30 minutes at most...
We arrived at about 15:00 and walked straight to the main lake, where the bird had been reported, in bushes just north of it. I made it to the birders with Mum going back to the car, and the news was sort of good. It was still here, showing well, but had been out of view for five minutes or so. Hmm. With hardly any time, this bird needed to show up quickly. After 10 minutes had passed, things didn't really look good. Still no sign. Some Goldfinches were flying around, and the usual bustle was on the lake and river.
Time continued to tick on, with no sign of the shrike. But then, two or three of the birders saw something flying behind the bushes we were looking at, and it appeared to drop down on the other side of the bush. Some hope. I decided to walk back to the seawall and up onto it so I could look at the other side of the row of bushes. Another few minutes passed with no sign, as the shrike just wouldn't show. Just as I was thinking I was going to get a message from Mum to ask me to head back towards the car, another birder quietly but excitedly exclaimed: "I think I've got it." I quickly walked over, and after receiving some brilliant directions, I was onto it. This sure was the bird- a Red-Backed Shrike...finally!
It was pretty obscured by branches and relatively distant for a few minutes, just staying out perched. It then moved a bit closer and perched up on a tree, giving a much better view.
The Red-backed Shrike is a relatively scarce migrant to our shores, turning up in small numbers each spring and autumn. This was my first ever- a lifer. I have missed one or two by half a day, and possibly saw one at Thursley a few years back, but nothing certain.
It moved a bit again, and so did I, quietly sliding down the grassy slope to get a bit closer and get a better angle of it. This really was a stunning bird...
I was enjoying every moment of seeing this bird. An absolute cracker of a bird. It was flying around, catching flies and insects before returning to its perch.
It moved into one final brilliant position on the edge of the bush before retreating back along the row of hedges, being lost to view.
Sadly, it was time to leave. A very sucessful, if brief trip, with a wonderful lifer that showed very well. Hopefully this does signal the start of more movement. I'm not going to draw out this ending as I have an orchestra rehearsal somewhere early tomorrow...
Many thankyou for reading, hope you enjoyed:)
No comments:
Post a Comment